Nine Men 'Well Lose to Thistle U21

Last updated : 14 January 2004 By Evenflow

Thistle lined up with players such as Gerry Britton, Stephane Bonnes Eddie Forrest and Jean-Yves Anis, and Gary Bollan took his place at left back for his home Motherwell debut.

The game kicked off in positive fashion for Motherwell, and the nearly took the lead on the tenth minute when Andy Scott got on the end of a Kenny Wright cross. The youngster’s effort bulged the net, but unfortunately for the home side, it was the side-net.

Shortly after, the young ‘Well had another two good opportunities with Kenny Wright dragging a shot, which was held by the keeper and Andy Scott sending a volleyed effort high and wide into the South Stand!

It took till the twentieth minute for the Jags to register a chance on goal. A high ball swung in towards the goal was controlled well by Gerry Britton. The experienced striker did well to turn and smash a shot at Corr, but the ‘Well keeper was more than a match with a comfortable save.

Not long after, Thistle took the lead. The ball broke from a shy to Stephane Bonnes out on the right hand side. The striker headed towards goal and managed to keep his balance and hold of the Motherwell challenges before toe poking the ball past Corr at his near post. A poor goal for Motherwell to lose defensively, but Bonnes took the chance very well!

With half time approaching and passing, the game lost its drive and it took till the sixty-fifth minute for it to spring to life again. Eddie Forrest headed a Thistle corner against the crossbar, and the rebounded shot was skied into the stand!

Thistle followed that up with two quick fire chances. Corr in the Motherwell goal dealt both with well. The game was fizzing out when the referee took it upon himself to send off Barry Neville for what seemed nothing more than a late tackle. He went for the challenge but the Thistle player was too quick for him.. Nothing in it, but the referee (normally they are very lenient, and sensible at these fixtures) deemed it worth of a second yellow and Neville was sent packing.

As it was looking like the game was going to end in a 1-0, Thistle managed a late corner. The ball was swung over and Britton headed the ball over the line for what looked like a goal. The referee gave it, until he noticed his assistant with his flag raised. After what seemed like hours of discussions, he be musingly gave a penalty kick and sent Willie Kinninburgh off. From the resulting penalty, Willie Howie coolly despatched it for 2-0 Thistle and the final whistle!

Corr, Neville, Bollan (Marc Fitzpatrick), MacDonald, Kinninburgh, Mathie, Wright, Barkey, McDonald (Ryan Russell), Fagan, Scott Subs not used: Chris Higgins, Andy Reid, and David Keogh

Referee Willie Hornby (not many marks out of ten)