The Year in Review 2012 (1)

Last updated : 28 December 2012 By Firparkcorner

Despite entering the year in third place in the table we were in a dip.  The usual collapse at Ibrox and a loss to Inverness saw us slip back to join the chasing pack but Higdon's late equaliser at Tannadice (cue the appearance of the Higgy salute and a one match ban) was to be the catalyst for improvement. 


Two of the stars of 2012

The cup draw had given us a first opening home tie in 12 years and Queen's Park was duly dispatched 4-0.  The new boy from Estonia made his debut and scored the last goal.  We were soon to realise a gem had been unearthed.  A 6-0 thumping of Morton followed before Aberdeen came to Fir Park for the quarter final.  It wasn't to be our day and Law's second half goal was not enough to counter the loss of two in the first half.

We were saddened by the loss of Bill Dickie in January and his many years of serviced were recognised at the next home gameThe club revealed that the previous year had resulted in a profit around £500,000 due mainly to our good cup runs but it was stressed that the need to generate income from player sales remains an important part of our budget.


The warm down at East End Park

We produced a five game unbeaten run that included wins over Hearts (3-0) and a Higdon hat trick in a comeback against Hibs (4-3) to regain third by 8 points as February drew to a close. 

Financial matters were suddenly brought to the fore when Rangers entered administration in February.  Their demise overshadowed the rest of the season but it became increasingly clear that an unexpected Champions League spot would become available – the chase was on.


An embarrassment on the way home from Easter Road

March was a struggle, producing two wins and three defeats but top six football was secured with ease.  The Well Society surpassed its initial target and with £335,000 in the coffers plans could be made for a first General Meeting.  The saga at Ibrox continued to impose uncertainty over the SPL's future but we had three home matches in the last five.  A win at Tynecastle on 1 May all but ensured a place in the third qualifying round of the Champions League.  The next day United failed to keep the race alive and the champagne was uncorked.  We had guaranteed third place with two games remaining.  It was a terrific effort and ensured another European tour to brighten the start of 2012/13.

Our penultimate match produced a goalless draw against the 'old' Rangers in their final game in Govan.  Steven Craigan announced his retirement and he took the plaudits as the season closed at Fir Park.

The club unveiled a new third strip to much acclaim  and a decision about our SPL vote concerning the status of the new Rangers was handed to members of the Well Society.  All that remained was the draw for the Champions League!

The Year in Review 2011

The Year in Review 2010

The Year in Review 2009

The Year in Review 2008

The Year in Review 2006

The Year in Review 2005

The Year in Review: 2004

The Year in Review: 2003

The Year in Review: 2002

The Year in Review: 2001