A Bad Day at East End Park

Last updated : 05 April 2003 By Firparkcorner

The travelling support welcome the team.
Dunfermline made the better start and won several corners in the opening minutes. We managed to survive this though and gradually we came back into things. However, Dunfermline got the lead their start merited. A hopeful ball into the box was not cleared and DuBourdeau was caught in no man’s land – he did manage to block the first shot but the rebound fell into the path of Hampshire who scored a tap in.

The ‘Well heads did not go down and going behind gave the team the jolt we needed to start playing. McFadden managed to release Lehmann down the left and he beat his man before squaring to Lasley. A goal looked certain but from no more than three yards, Keith contrived to slam his shot against the inside of the post. The rebound ran agonisingly along the goal line before being cleared for a corner.

While we were playing well, the whole complexion of the game was to change inside a two minute spell. Good work by Faddy and Hammell on the left led to a cross into the box. Lasley towered above his man and was already celebrating when his header rebounded off the inside of the same post he had hit earlier. Stillie reacted quickly to clear the danger. The Pars then broke up the field and Tony Vaughan was forced to tug on the shirt of Craig Brewster as he ran in on goal. The big striker stayed on his feet but when Vaughan then won the ball fairly, the referee gave the earlier foul. A red card was inevitable.

The game was killed off as a contest early in the second half when Nicholson latched onto a neat pass from Brewster and beat Frankie. From then on, the Pars were content to pass the ball about with no real purpose. Occasionally they threatened but by and large they were happy playing keep ball.

Another impressive move by McFadden allowed Hammell to cross to Adams at the back post but Del hesitated and missed a golden chance to get us back in the game. Moments later Noel Hunt was given time and space on the edge of the box to control the ball and shoot into the corner.

In the end, we were well beaten but had either or both of Keith Lasley’s efforts gone in, we could have left with something. This is yet another ‘what if’ day but the bottom line is that you can’t hit the post twice from inside the six yard box and not expect to be punished. At least Thistle and United lost so we haven’t fallen further behind. Another crunch game awaits next Saturday.