A 'Well Deserved Point at Parkhead

Last updated : 15 March 2004 By Firparkcorner

We fielded the same line up as last weekend while Celtic rang the changes to protect their ‘old legs’ for the Barcelona game. This resulted in the unusual, but welcome sight of sixteen home grown players on the pitch at the one thirty kick off.

Goal hero Adams gets some attention
There was a Marshall at each end of the pitch but it was the veteran in the ‘Well goal who stole the show. He pulled off a series of acrobatic saves with hands and feet to keep us in the game.

We had a series of chances in the first half often with Scott McDonald involved. He proved to be a constant irritation to the Celtic defence any time the ball was played to his feet. His strength and quick turns causing allsorts of problems. His first foray came inside five minutes when he chased to the dead ball line and provided Toastie with a cut back which was squandered. In ten minutes Clarskon let loose from twenty yards and grazed the wrong side of the bar.

The happy band of 'Well fans
The opener came when McDonald reached the line for the second time. On this occasion he managed to reach Lasley who set up Adams at the edge of the box. The ball sat up for the captain and his sweet right footed strike sailed into the postage stamp corner.

Celtic then had some long periods of possession but there was little real threat as our defence dug in. There was some heroic tackling though and there was always the suspicion that we would have to score a second to secure all three points.

A defensive error provided Clarkson with a golden opportunity just before the break but his composure deserted him.

A point gained!
Celtic rattled the woodwork twice in the second half. First the bar saved us then Lambert rattled one off the post when a goal looked certain. They were making little progress and with half an hour remaining Larson replaced Beattie.

We were pinned back for long periods but when we had possession every attempt was made to pass the ball forward. Nevertheless it was no surprise when they sneaked an equaliser at the near post from a corner.

Pearson thundered a shot off the bar with five minutes to go and we held on to take a well deserved point.

No doubt much will be made of the fact that they opposition fielded a weakened side. But the fact remains that our lads matched them and with some better finishing in the first half we could have taken more from the game.

We have restored the six point cushion over sixth placed United and look forward to the visit of Hearts at Fir Park next week.