Aberdeen 2 Motherwell 0

Last updated : 29 November 2008 By Footymad Previewer
Following a fairly dismal first-half in which neither goalkeeper had to make any meaningful saves, Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood celebrated his 200th game in charge with victory over a struggling Motherwell.

Goals from Gary McDonald and Lee Miller saw them run out comfortable winners. In fact had it not been for visiting keeper Graeme Smith, the scoreline would have been far more emphatic.

The Dons had made one change from the last outing with Darren Mackie replacing McDonald, while the visitors gave Maros Klimpl his debut in central defence.

The home side were first to show in five minutes, Mark Kerr and Scott Severin combined on the right before the latter's cross was knocked on by Miller, the ball fell to Mackie, whose close-range effort was parried over by Smith.

At the other end minutes later Motherwell's Jamie Murphy picked out Keith Lasley, who advanced to the edge of the area before crashing in a fierce effort which was held at the second attempt by Jamie Langfield.

The visitors were dominating possession and came close again in 15 minutes. A Jamie Murphy deep cross from the right found the head of Chris Porter, whose effort was deflected by Zander Diamond over the bar.

In 31 minutes Aberdeen had their best moments of the match so far. Severin played the ball up to Miller whose neat lay-off played in his strike partner Mackie, however he passed up the opportunity to shoot, choosing the wrong option by trying to pick out Sone Aluko only for Bob Malcolm to clear the danger.

As the half-time whistle approached the visitors passed up their best chance of the game.

A long ball from Steven Hammell saw the ball reach Porter, his head flick fell into the path of Murphy, who screwed his effort from 14 yards horribly wide.

With 58 minutes gone a diagonal ball into the area was lost in the air by Diamond, the ball broke to Porter whose goalbound effort from 14 yards was brilliantly charged down by Andrew Considine to save a certain goal.

This was the defender's last part in the proceedings as he sustained a serious injury and had to be replaced by McDonald.

Aberdeen made the breakthrough after 60 minutes. A long Kerr ball into the channel saw the ball picked up by Aluko. The diminutive wide man cleverly swept past Hammell and Mark Reynolds before playing a delightful ball into the penalty box, which saw McDonald easily power his header past Smith.

The home side looked to have made the points safe on 65 minutes. Kerr and Jeffrey de Visscher combined on the right, the midfielder's ball across the area was about to be knocked in by Mackie only for a professional foul by Paul Quinn preventing the striker from prodding the ball home.

Referee Chris Boyle correctly awarded a penalty before sending off the visitors' skipper. Miller made an immaculate job of comfortably knocking home the resulting spot-kick.

A Charlie Mulgrew cross on 79 minutes caused all sorts of indecision in the Well rearguard, the ball finally falling to McDonald, his close-in effort cannoned back off the upright and Chris Maguire somehow failed to convert the rebound.

Aberdeen looked to have grabbed a third goal in 87 minutes. A 25-yard shot from Severin was deflected by Mackie, but Smith in the visitors' goal was equal to the task as he brilliantly changed direction in mid air to claw the goalbound effort away.