Almost a point against Killie

Last updated : 09 November 2002 By Firparkcorner

The first half was one of the worst exhibitions of the football that ever (dis)graced Fir Park. Both sides were fully committed but while both could pass the ball about in midfield, penetration was lacking. There were three goal scoring opportunities in the entire half and only one of these forced a ‘keeper into making a save. It would not be unfair to say that the fans would have seen more entertainment at a schoolboy game.

Francois gets a game
Francois DuBourdeau was called up to replace Stevie Woods and he made a nervous start on his return to first team action. He did gather long balls in the box but frequently he dithered and only committed himself to action late on. He had very little to do in the first half but should have been picking the ball out of the net when di Giancomo was given space in the box. His well-struck shot went the wrong side of the right hand post when he should have done better.

Gordon Marshall would have been getting bored in the Kilmarnock goal but he was given something to worry about when Lehmann’s cross was glanced away with Kemas in ideal position to head home. The half time break was welcomed by everyone but Peter Canero should have given his side the lead just before the interval. He only had DuBourdeau to beat but elected to blast low when a chip would have done the job and the ball was smothered.

Another good game from Cowan
The second half was much better to watch even if the football on show had not improved greatly. Kilmarnock dominated the opening exchanges and we enjoyed a big let off when DuBourdeau saved a breakaway. However, Stevie Murray will still be wondering how he contrived to mis-control the rebound with an open goal gaping.

Kemas had another speculative effort from outside the box before being subbed for Stevie Ferguson and this move prompted our best spell of the game. Adams had a free kick saved, Lehmann came close with a header and we were camped outside the Killie box for a long period. Chances were few and far between though and we struggled to create yet again.

Kilmarnock managed to regain the initiative in the last ten minutes and surged forward looking for a winner. When a combination of Corrigan and DuBourdeau stopped Boyd from scoring with a header, it looked like the game would trail off to a draw. That was not allowing for our weekly gift though and it arrived in the first minute of injury time. Pearson gave away a free kick and Boyd curled it round the wall. It looked to be a simple collection for DuBourdeau but the ball squirmed under his body and into the net.

The manner of the defeat will be hard to take but Kilmarnock were the only team who deserved to win. We were more organised at the back than we have been in recent games but without McFadden we look like we could play for hours without scoring. David Cowan showed his versatility by turning in another good performance, this time at right midfield. Kevin McDonald played ninety minutes in place of Scott Leitch and did well and ultimately there were no real failures. The team did their best but at the moment we are not good enough. Winter could be a long hard struggle.