CIS Cup exit at Pittodrie

Last updated : 07 November 2002 By Firparkcorner
The match started fairly evenly with both teams showing some nice touches. We began with a flat back four consisting of Hammell, Corrigan, Partridge and Cowan. Keith Lasley returned to the right of midfield and Khaled Kemas partnered Dirk Lehmann up front.

Derek Adams watches his free kick fly into the net

We missed a glorious chance after ten minutes when Kemas missed what appeared to be an open goal. Kjaer could only palm out Hammell's low cross and Kemas missed the target from six yards.

Aberdeen then missed a great chance when a cut back was fired straight at Woods. We were not given a second let off though and when Leon Mike muscled his way in front of Corrigan and Partridge, he fired over Woods to open the scoring. Moments later we were two down and Stevie Woods will be hoping that there were no cameras present to see it. Deloumeaux's long free kick looked harmless enough but it bounced through the goalie’s hands and into the net.

Woods quickly redeemed himself with a sharp save from a header and when we pulled one back before half time, it looked to be game on.

Derek Adams has been our free kick taker this year and he opened his account with a breath-taking effort which curled in off the post at the top corner. He miraculously escaped a booking for his celebration which involved running half the length of the pitch and jumping onto the perimeter wall in front of the 'Well fans.

Stevie knocks out the opposition!

Of course, any time we look like doing something good, we shoot ourselves in the foot. Our offside trap was woefully exposed and Scott Michie had the freedom of the half to race through and round Woods. He dallied with the goal gaping but made no mistake.

The second half was ‘end to end’ stuff and both teams came close to scoring. Adams had a free kick saved and when the ball was returned into the box, he then came close with an ambitious header. We were trying to force the play and two defensive clearances came within a few feet of getting us back into things.

It was not all one way traffic and Stevie Woods produced two magnificent saves to deny Aberdeen on the counter attack. As the minutes ticked away, we threw on Ferguson for Kemas but this made little difference. We did come close to pulling one back in the last minute but Leitch saw a good effort superbly saved by Kjaer. Dirk Lehmann then had a good header towards the corner but he couldn't get enough power on it to cause a problem.

So, we lost again but the performance was much better than it was against Thistle. We are still creating chances but we need to start finding the back of the net. The missing McFadden may have made the difference by creating something clear cut in the last third but he needs to be on form.

As for the defence, goodness knows what Terry Butcher can do. He needs to find something soon though, otherwise our downward spiral will only continue.