Clarkson's Wonderful Triple Wins the Game

Last updated : 03 January 2004 By Firparkcorner

With his Uncle Phil winning a starting seat on the bench, young Clarkson stole the show with a stunning second half hat trick. His tireless running, brave challenging and accurate finishing will surely make him the next target for those looking for promising Scottish talent. But we can celebrate entry of 2004 with three points and a return to fifth place in the table.

The first half was dire. Craigan was adjudged to have fouled Scotland from behind in thirteen minutes and we went one down from the resultant free kick. It took almost half an hour for our first shot on goal and we were fortunate to get to the half time team talk still in touch. Jut before the whistle a McIntyre header beat Marshall and ran across the goal line after hitting his right hand post.

The home fans were not anticipating much when the teams reappeared. How wrong we were! There was urgency and commitment on show. We pushed United back and began to make some chances in front of goal. We started to win the 50-50 balls and the crowd roared in encouragement.

On the hour Derek Adams released Clarkson into the box. He rounded the keeper on the outside and from a very tight angle he passed the ball into the net.

The second goal
Adams was involved again when he whistled one past the postage stamp. Lasley had a blast from distance and Gallacher tipped over the bar and Clarkson headed in Hammell’s corner for the second. We were now ahead and United could find no answer.

Burns had a good effort save, Uncle Phil replaced Leitch and we continued to command the game. Adams fired a smashing free kick against the bar.

The clock ticked on and the fourth official indicated four extra minutes. United were fighting for the equaliser but we continued to push forward at every opportunity and it seemed that the hat trick would arrive in ninety one minutes when young David beat a couple of defenders inside the box before proceeding to blast over the top when a goal seemed more likely.

It was not long delayed though, and a minute later he shrugged of an illegal challenge and fired past the keeper.

Great were the celebrations and deservedly so. A memorable turn around sent the home fans away glad that they had witnessed Clarkson’s first triple for the big team. Let’s hope there are a few more to come.