Cup dreams are over for Motherwell

Last updated : 11 February 2008 By Firparkcorner

McLean replaced the suspended Quinn and we kicked off facing the South Stand. Little did the away support realise what a great night they were to witness.

We start our last game on the 2007/8 Scottish Cup

We started the game well enough, with the usual passing movements but there was no end product. The early stages summed up by fresh air shots at either end; Clarkson from eight yards for us and Lyle for the dark blues. Neither keeper was troubled during the first half and although we had the balance of play it was clear that the Dundee defence was happy to cope with our feeble attacks.

We had four corners in that opening period and all were low, front post efforts which were comfortably cleared. Neither full back looked comfortable. Hammell was misplacing passes while McLean looked distinctly unhappy at right back. It was to get worse in the second half.

were two up within ten minutes of the restart. Smith looked a little indecisive with a clearance and McHale finished off high into the net. Robertson was unattended at the right side of the goal and he was close enough to have an easy tap in from McDonald's low drive across the box.

McGhee threw on Lappin and Darren Smith for McGarry and Lasley and we moved onto panic mode. Any notion of the high paced passing game went out the window as we resorted to high, long balls to Clarkson and McCormack. Unfortunately this was perfect fodder for their big defenders who delighted in thumping the ball clear.

On the hour Hammell produced a decent corner from the right wing and Darren Smith headed home. Spirits were lifted and we continued to press. Dundee were still able to threaten on the break and we rode our luck at times. They were reduced to nine men inside the last ten minutes when some undisciplined defending produced second cautions.

But the sad fact was that Roy had no save to make despite our increasingly frantic efforts. Our best hope of an equaliser came for a defensive header which struck the bar.

Too many of our players were off form. The ranks of managers in the main stand would not have been impressed with McCormack or Hughes. Clarkson failed to show the dangerous runs which we have seen lately.

Our cup record against lower league opposition is woeful. The change of manager has not altered the trend. Perhaps he'll be find some way of using the defeat to inspire the guys for Saturday's game against Gretna. Let's hope so.

Good luck to Dundee in the next round.