Delighted Clarkson Grabs the Win

Last updated : 14 October 2006 By Firparkcorner

It was no surprise to see the same eleven that won so comfortably last outing be given the chance to secure a double of home wins against a Dunfermine side which was much changed.

Hamilton hardly got a kick today

We had complete domination of the first half and Meldrum was a spectator for long spells. The pattern was set from the kick off as we forced a corner inside the first minute.

McDonald cut in from the right but his reward for a run along the eighteen yard line was an attempt which narrowly missed the post. Minutes later Elliot had a similar run, this time from the right, but his progress was cut short illegally. Kerr's free kick sailed over the bar.

Foran charged about the midfield looking for scraps and he was cheered by the East Stand fans for his efforts. Before the referee signalled for the break Elliot was off target with a header and Foran and Paterson forced saves'from McKenzie.

Great were Clarkson's selebrations!

We continued to camp in the opposition half and got the overdue first goal on the hour. Excellent chasing from Elliot earned a corner at the south end of the East Stand. The ball then fell beyond the far post to Reynolds and his scooped effort was met at the post by the keeper abd a defender. The ball fell weakly and seemed to he trundling over the dead ball line but Reynolds was alert. The defence hesitated but Reynolds flicked the ball off the line to the lurking McDonald who promply squeezed the ball into the net.

The visitors were forced to open up and the game entered a spell of end to end action when both teams resorted to long balls. Crawford scored an equaliser with their first shot on target. Elliot was replaced by Clarkson and we regrouped with twenty minutes remaining.

It took the substitute less than five minutes to break the deadlock. He collected the ball at the egde of the box and drilled an accurate shot to McKenzie's right hand corner. It found the net and the home support rose as one to join the striker in his celebrations. It was his first goal of the season and everyone was delighted that his efforts finally earned the reward of a winning goal.

Lasley almost increaded the lead in the last minute when he fired a fierce shot from twenty yards. The keepers fine one handed save denied him.

The six points gained from the last two gaames could be invaluable. Our next to fixtures see us visit both halves of the Old Firm and only the most optimistic will forecast any return. Let's enjoy the win and let the next couple of weeks take care of themselves.