Dundee United 1 Motherwell 1

Last updated : 19 November 2005 By Footymad Previewer
It all turned disastrously wrong for Gordon Chisholm as he tried desperately to hang onto his job at Tannadice.

This result and performance will have done little to convince United chairman Eddie Thompson that he should not change the club's manager and, despite his protestations otherwise, Chisholm must now fear the worst.

It was the visitors who, not surprisingly, began the more confidently with ex-Tangerine Jim Hamilton creating panic in the home defence in the second minute as he forced the back-pedalling Derek Stillie to tip his looping header over the bar.

From the resulting corner referee McCurry adjudged Scott McDonald to committed a foul before his header hit the net.

Despite Well's continued pressure, Collin Samuel tried to inject some attacking life into United with a strong run and low drive that narrowly missed the target in the 10th minute.

However, it was only a temporary reprieve. As the crosses rained in, the United defence continued to look uncertain and Brian McLean and McDonald were both close to taking advantage.

It was a scrappy affair. David Fernandez tried to lift the skill level by creating opportunities on the left flank, but Samuel and Jim McIntyre both failed to convert.

Then, in the 39th minute, McIntyre failed to touch in the Spaniard's low cross from only a yard out.

United dominated the final 20 minutes of the half, but Lee Miller and McIntyre again wasted chances to break the deadlock.

The second period continued with the same degree of mediocrity, though in the 68th minute McIntyre temporarily took the pressure off his manager with an excellent goal.

Miller started the move, feeding Barry Robson who powered through the middle before laying the ball off to Fernandez. The Spaniard fired over a powerful low cross which McIntyre stooped to head in at the near post.

The lead only lasted three minutes before McDonald spoiled the celebrations.

The little striker was on the end of a deep Foran cross and took advantage of some poor marking to score the equaliser.

United skipper Paul Ritchie added to the misery by getting himself sent off in the closing stages and his red card could prove to be the final act of Chisholm's reign.