Five Goal 'Well Go Fifth

Last updated : 11 February 2004 By Firparkcorner

We started with the same eleven as on Saturday and it did not take long for the action to start. Clarkson managed to head the ball from Sperroni’s clutching hands but his reward was a wild attempt at goal from the corner of the six yard box.

Dundee drew first blood in ten minutes when slack defending (plenty of this at either end of the park!) saw a low cross across goal to the unmarked Barret for an easy finish, Messers Corrigan and Craigan had gone walkabout.

Keith Lasley scored as a result of good work by both Clarkson and Burns in a move similar to our first.

We lost a goal from this...
The game had developed into an end to end affair and both back lines looked uncomfortable. It was no surprise that the goals kept coming.

Just before the half hour a free kick from the outside the box found an unmarked Dundee head at the far post and the downward header beat Marshall. Novo was on hand to drive the ball home from a foot. Immediately afterwards Clarkson had a claim for a penalty turned down.

Two all at the break and there was plenty to keep the fans occupied in the second half.

Adams had moved to a more advanced role and he had a reward when he chased a ball to the dead ball line and managed the cut back. Burns squared to Clarkson and his shot found the net. We had regained the lead.

Burns then had two great chances but one flew high and the other hit the keeper’s midriff. Lasley was substituted McDonald. Toastie dropped back into midfield.

Novo brought the score to three all with and the mist started to roll in over the East Stand.

Scott McDonald needed no time to adjust to the pace of the game. He displayed some fine touches and set up Toastie for his first SPL goal for the ‘Well. Four-three and an hour had passed.

And the mist descended....
Bollan replaced O’Donnell and went to left back. Hammell moved into wide midfield. Dundee were pushing upfield but we seemed to be able to exploit the space behind their defence. Chances kept coming our way and with just under twenty minutes remaining McDonald set up Dair to make the score five-three.

At this stage the fans were thankful that the electronic scoreboard was keeping track of the goals. We held on to the two goal lead though there was one scare moments after Quinn seemed to have earned us a penalty. He was bundled off the ball but referee Rowbotham waved play on. Dundee immediately attacked and Fotheringham missed a great chance by pulling his shot wide of Marshall’s post.

Terry Butcher said after the game the team’s ‘spirits were lifted’ and that ‘confidence was beginning to return to the team’. There’s no doubt that the spirits of the fans were lifted and many a glass will be raised to the team for their goal scoring feat.

Great stuff!