Kerrso Grabs a Point at Ibrox

Last updated : 28 October 2006 By Firparkcorner

Andy Cameron was on the pitch before kick off urging his supporters to stay to the end and not to leave when goals were conceded. They didn't listen and there were plenty empty spaces on show when the 'Well fans celebrated the final whistle.

Kerr celebrates with the ball in the back of the net

We survived the first forty five minutes for the cost of only one goal. For a frightening amount of the game the home team were camped in our last third and Malpas would have been content to have his unchanged team in the dressing room to regroup.

We lost the opener to a far post header when Boyd's strength allowed him to out muscle a pair of our defenders. Moments before, Quinn had cleared over the bar to concede a corner.

Blow the whistle ref...

Our only attempt on goal was a twenty yard blast from McGarry which never threatened.

We were soon under pressure after the teams changed ends and Meldrum had to produce the first of two superb saves within a minute of the second period.

There was an indication of our intent when we moved up the right wing and came close when the resulting cross found Foran at the back post. His header was just wide.

The crucial goal came in the fiftieth minute. McDonald had a few defenders chasing shadows as he squeezed along the dead ball line. He pushed the ball into the middle and it eventually fell to Kerr outside the box. He took careful aim and let rip with a low driven shot which found the corner of the net.

The celebrations took place in front of the 'Well support and the home support was silenced.

Rangers were rattled and they were unable to capitalise on the possession they enjoyed for the remaining forty minutes. Their main tactic was the punt to Boyd in the hope that he could repeat his close range effort of the first half. Their other tactic was to fire long range passes over the touchline.

They were camped in our penalty box for long periods and it needed some desperate defending to keep our goal intact.

The tension built to a dramatic last minute. MacDonald collected the ball on the left wing and set off on a run which finished with him upended inside the penalty box. He thrashed the ground in frustration when the referee ignore the claim. Within seconds the ball was inside our box and Meldrum threw himself to deny Rangers a last gasp winner.

The result will keep confidence and belief at a high level and the team can start preparations for next week's encounter with St Mirren in good heart.