Kilmarnock Steal Away Three Points

Last updated : 03 April 2007 By Firparkcorner

The balance of the game was revealed in Jim Jeffries' post match comment that a draw would have been a fair result. That tells the story of a game which saw Motherwell having lots of the ball but few clear cut chances.

McDonald caused problems for their defence all night and seemed to have scored half way through the second period when his near post flick of Darren Smith's low cross was on target from four yards out. The Killie keeper reacted brilliantly to keep the ball out.

This second half free kick flew high

Darren Smith was included and McBride was moved to the bench. The rest were the same ten as started against Dunfermline at the weekend. It took some time for us to settle against Killie's three at the back and five across the middle formation but it was soon apparent that the home team were to hold the upper hand. McDonald, at times, dropped deeper to lend a hand.

There was more of a passing game on show but little in the way of a cutting edge. Paterson had a competent showing and Darren Smith and Vadocz also made useful contributions. The jury was not so impressed with Keegan though and it was significant that Clarkson, who replaced him for the last ten minutes, probably delivered more of a goal threat - and he almost found an injury time equaliser with a well directed header.

'Buzz' Smith had little to do in the first period but he managed to get injured in clearing a contested ball. He persevered with limp into the second half but Meldrum replaced him in the fifty fifth minute.

Murphy's vital intervention when Wales was about to pull the trigger is worthy of a mention. Nish replaced him soon after and his height was to prove to be the decisive factor when he rose above the rest to head home at the near post just as the fourth official signalled an additional three minutes.

Kenny Clark refrained from flashing any cards until the eighty fifth minute when Wright needlessly brought Darren Smith's run to an end. Within a minute McDonald joined him when his persistent arguing over a claimed deflection left the whistler with no option.

The crowd, well under four thousand, left wondering at the unpredictability of the game. It looked like a cert to finish 0-0 but it was not to be.