Motherwell 3 Partick Thistle 0

Last updated : 28 February 2004 By Footymad Previewer

Bottom club Partick Thistle were edged closer to relegation back to the Scottish First Division following a 3-0 defeat against Motherwell at Fir Park.

The match started in explosive fashion with David Rowson shooting over for Thistle and Steven Hammell responding for Motherwell both in the first two minutes.

Motherwell then picked up the pace of the game and pushed strongly for the opening goal. It almost arrived on seven minutes when a Kevin McDonald shot was beaten out by Kenny Arthur then a Shaun Fagen header was blocked by Grant Murray as it looked to dip under the bar.

The goal was delayed only until the 11th minute when Hammell's free-kick from the right edge of the box dipped under the bar and past the despairing dive of keeper Kenny Arthur.

Thistle were then forced into an early change when James Grady pulled a hamstring in the act of shooting and he was replaced by Jorge Paulo Cadete. The game went flat after this as Thistle struggled to make an impression despite forcing a number of corners.

It took until the 50th minute for Thistle to force Gordon Marshall into action when he dived to save an Adrian Madaschi header, but within a minute, Motherwell were two-up when a long clearance from Stephen Craigan found McDonald in acres of space and his cross was neatly headed passed Arthur in the visitors’ goal by Dave Clarkson.

As in the first half the game once again went flat with Thistle again forcing a series of corners without ever threatening the goal. Britton did come close to a consolation as he found space on the right only for Marshall to tip his shot over.

Motherwell went further ahead when Craigan, Clarkson and Steven Craig combined at the edge of the box for Clarkson to lay the ball onto Adams to side foot the ball past the onrushing Arthur.

Both teams had one further chance each with Gibson shooting wide for Thistle and an Adams block shot for Motherwell before the referee blew the final whistle for another well deserved three points for the home side.