Motherwell return to winning ways

Last updated : 29 March 2008 By Firparkcorner

Well done Clarkie
There were a couple of changes for this first game at Fir Park in a month. Lappin impressed with his showing at left back; Hammell had not recovered from the injury sustained last week. Captain Quinn returned to right back and showed how much we had missed his attacking flair in the last few games. McCormack was left on the bench and we started with Clarkson and Porter up front.

Bob Malcolm was moved upfield and he shared the central midfield with Hughes. He looked more comfortable in that position and he'll be delighted to collect a win bonus in his home debut.

We kicked off facing the Cooper Stand for a change and immediately took control. The visitors were pushed back and we took the lead in the third minute when a long diagonal ball from Quinn was well taken by Clarkson on his chest on the eighteen yard line. He escaped the attentions of Canning and fired a low right footed effort beyond McNeill. Clarkson went on to have a smashing game. He chased and tackled and made a great contribution to the day.

The rest of the half was dominated by Motherwell. Quinn scooped over following a corner when it looked easier to hit the target. Malcolm had a header which forced a scramble from the keeper. Clarkson somehow escaped the attentions of four defenders and reached the dead ball line to square the ball across the face of goal. Porter was inches from a goal scoring touch. Hibs had one good attempt at an equaliser when a good effort from Shiels shook the bar.

The goal scorer

At the break we wondered if we would pay for our inability to capitalise on our possession. Would a one goal lead be enough?

The expected onslaught from the visitors did not materialise. As the game moved on they made attacking substitutions but rarely threatened. With ten minutes remaining Donaldson forced Smith into a spectacular one handed save when he shot on target from fifteen yards. The crowd responded to Buzz's reaction.

McCormack replaced Clarkson (who thoroughly deserved his standing ovation) after seventy minutes. McGarry came on for Lasley late on as we ran out time.

The win moved us back up the table and keeps interest in the third spot chase alive. The show the players laid on was reminiscent of the early season form which gave us so much entertainment. Well done guys, more please!