Motherwell Burst the Hibs Bubble (again!)

Last updated : 20 October 2007 By Firparkcorner

An incident packed first half had the crowd of seven thousand buzzing well before the break.

McCormack blasts in the second goal

Unchanged Motherwell set off with the usual aggressive formation and had most of the early possession. The first big cheer from the home crowd came in ten minutes when Kerr sent a wild pass in the direction of the Main Stand touchline.

There was a lot of nice passing football on show from both teams and the game was level when referee Charlie Richmond made the first of several key decisions. Morais was presented with a straight red card following a two footed lunge at Paterson in the middle of the park.

Richmond flashes the red card

We tried to make the best of the advantage but were caught upfield on the half hour when a strong run from Fletcher was brought to an end by Smith. The referee was already on the spot and he immediately pointed a downward finger. The big striker gave Smith no chance and slotted the ball low to the right hand corner.

The goal spurred us on to greater efforts and a few minutes later the McCormack double sealed the game. The first was a delightful lob from the edge of the box which found the net off the underside of the bar. The second followed two minutes later after Clarkson was fouled inside the eighteen yard box 'D'. He rifled a blockbuster into the net - Makalambay may have heard it whistling by him.

After the break we made the best of the extra man and made good use of wingmen on either flank. We pressed and pressed for the goal which would give some breathing space but it didn't come.

There were chances a-plenty but mention has to be made of McGarry's efforts. He could have had a hat trick. His three efforts (all from the right hand side of the box) forced a great save from the keeper then struck the post and bar.

Sprinkled though his attempts were lots of other chances. McCormack might have won the match ball is his superb free kick to the postage stamp had not been touched away for a corner.

But the third goal did not arrive and we were left to hang on as Hibs tried to snatch a late point. They stuck the bar twice in the closing minutes and the referee's whistle came as some relief.

The teams were cheered from the park by both sets of fans. This was a great advert for SPL football.