Motherwell Drop Two Points to Rangers

Last updated : 29 September 2007 By Firparkcorner

Mark McGhee made just the one change to the starting line up from last week and McCormack returned to starting duties at the expense of Fitzpatrick. A crowd of ten thousand saw the visitors win the toss and they choose to face the South Stand goal in the first half.

McCormack tries his luck

Motherwell were first to produce a goal threat when Lasley got to the dead ball line but his cut back failed to find any of the onrushing strikers. At the other end both Reynolds and Quinn made blocks to relieve danger.

The attacking formation caused the Rangers defence all sorts of problems and the ball fairly flew though the midfield with a few quick passes. The opening goal came in twenty four minutes. Again it was a nice pass which provided the chance. Clarkson directed a lovely ball though the centre and Porter, level with the defence broke though and beat McGregor to send the home stands wild.

Action in front of the South Stand

We continued to dominate the game and a bit of frustration from Rangers allowed the referee to start waving his yellow card. McCormack fired in a wicked free kick from a deep position on the left and saw it crash of the junction of post and bar. The half chances kept coming.

Paterson had a blast over the top, a Clarkson header was just wide and Porter had a low drive at the keeper. We rode our luck in the added minute at the end of the first period when the ball rattled the post after a Cuellar header from a corner.

Rangers made the first of their offensive substitutions at the restart but Darcheville was forced to retire after ten minutes. The game swung in Rangers favour and Boyd spurned a few chances. There was a big shout for a penalty which could have given us a two goal lead when Clarkson , in McGhee's words, was "barged" off the ball but referee Thomson turned away after a moment's hesitation.

He didn't have to think long in sixty seven minutes when Beasley, having escaped a couple of challenges, was tripped from behind by Lasley. Smith had no chance from Boyd's spot kick.

It was obvious that we were running out of steam and McGarry, then Clarkson, were replaced by Fitzpatrick and Jamie Murphy.

Once again the team were given a standing ovation for their efforts. The first half showing in particular was very good. We visit Tannadice next week and we should travel with confidence following today's excellent performance.