Motherwell have a comfortable win over Inverness

Last updated : 20 February 2008 By Firparkcorner

Steven Hughes failed start and Keith Lasley was the willing replacement. We kicked off facing the South Stand and entertained the young audience in the top tier with some sparkling stuff right from the first minute.

Kick off

McCormack was looking sharp and he could have opened our account in the third minute when he was through on his own but he fired at the keeper. The first goal was not long delayed however and McCormack supplied Clarkson with the chance which was buried into the roof of the net.

The lead was stretched in nine minutes when a Hammell cross was met by Porter's head at the far post giving Fraser little chance. It was a richly deserved two goal lead and we managed to produce a blend of short passing and the occasional long ball as fitted the bill.

were rarely seen as an attacking force but they managed a fine strike from Cowie to keep hopes alive.

Half time

The fightback failed to materialise and it seemed inevitable that we would score again. McCormack forced a good save low at the post and half chances were plentiful. We collected most of the 'second balls' and dominated the game.

Darren Smith should have scored five minutes before the break but the ball spilled and we got a corner from the ensuing scramble. The kick was cleared to the edge of the box and Clarkson caught it with a left footed volley. It screamed into the net and the striker ran to the home dugout pointing to his left peg.

The second half didn't live up to the high standard of the first though we almost got the fourth within a few seconds of the resumption. Porter chased down a ball over the top of the defence and charged into the left side of the box. Fraser narrowed the angle and Porter's effort beat him only to rebound to safety off the inside of the bar.

McGhee started to ring the changes. Lappin replaced Smith and with twenty minutes remaining McGarry replaced McCormack. The game was over as a contest and the crowd was entertained by the referee declaring an injury to be substituted by the fourth official.

It was a fine night's entertainment and the players deserve a big turnout on Saturday when Hearts are the visitors.