Motherwell in CIS Quarter Finals

Last updated : 21 September 2005 By Firparkcorner

St Mirren made it clear from the outset that they were going to play the game on the offensive and they had the first two goal scoring opportunities inside fifteen minutes.

Kick off

Both chances came from corners with the first flying over the bar and the second a fine header which Smith did well to push away. Our best chances fell to McDonald but he was off target. The only other excitement in the first half came when a Clarkson run into the box ended with a huge penalty claim from the big travelling support as he seemed to be impeded by the keeper.

replaced Quinn before five minutes of the second half had elapsed but the stalemate continued. Foran saw a curling effort go wide and at the other end Fagan produced a goal saving header off the line. Darren Smith replaced Andy Smith with twenty minutes of normal time remaining but the deadlock remained. As the ninetieth minute approached we were fortunate to survive as an Adam free kick grazed the bar.

Extra time and the prospect of penalties appeared and, at last, we took some control of the game, although we feared the worst when McDonald’s shot from a tight angle sailed passed the goals and out for a throw-in ten yards beyond the corner flag.

Clarkson scored the first in ninety seven minutes as he bundled in from all of two feet. His goal was in front of the ‘Well support and great were the celebrations. Darren Smith sealed the win five minutes later with a brave solo effort to squeeze the ball beyond the keeper.

St Mirren offered much more resistance that Falkirk did a few days ago and if they maintain this level of effort they must be considered likely candidates for the big league next season.

The referee seemed to be playing to a different set of rules to everyone else and he managed to book McDonald, Quinn, Foran and Fagan as well as a few of the opposition. Still, we’re in the hat for the next round and that’s all that matters.