Motherwell Lose the Opener

Last updated : 05 August 2006 By Firparkcorner

Motherwell lined up without McLean in centre defence (rumoured to be a knee injury) and young Donnelly stepped into the breach for his second start in the first team. With fullbacks Paterson and Quinn that left only Craigan as a first choice defender and the back four were put to the test immediately.

O'Donnell is at the bottom!

Rangers cut through us with ease several times inside the first ten minutes and it was with some amazement that we found ourselves only one behind. Buffel had spurned three simple chances before Sionko reacted to a bit of good fortune to score with a rebound from Smith.

Foran's ball

At that stage everyone of the twelve thousand in the ground expected a cricket score. We were unable to hold possession and our pressure on the South Stand goal was almost non-existent. Foran had a shot blocked from ten yards and as the half drew to a close we had a couple of crosses and a corner without much prospect of a reward.

Emergency measures

Still, we reached the changing room only one behind. The second half looked like more of the same when Adams rattled the post minutes after the restart but then the captain played his part. McCormack crossed from the left wing and Uncle Phil got on the end of it ten yards out. His attempt was blocked by a fine one handed save but he got to the rebound and fired into the net.

The travelling support was silenced for a few minutes but they were soon belting out their vile anthems when Prso headed in an Adams corner at the near post. By this time McDonald had replaced McCormack.

Malpas threw on Clarkson and Fitzpatrick for McGarry and Foran as we tried to find a second equaliser. McDonald had the best attempt when he made space outside the box but his shot was off target.

We survived a few late scares when we were unable to put an end to direct runs but referee Underhill finally brought proceedings to a close after two added minutes.

Manager Malpas accepted that the game could have been beyond reach by half time but was pleased with the efforts made in the second period. We move on to Love St next week.