Motherwell Take the Points at Tynecastle

Last updated : 08 December 2007 By Firparkcorner

In contrast to our unchanged line up, Hearts shuffled the pack again with five changes including a debut for the Lithuanian national keeper, Kurskis.

McCormack shaved the bar with this effort

McCormack gave the travelling support the first thrill when he launched a fierce shot from twenty yards just over the top. Good footwork from Paterson enabled him to send over an inviting cross to the far post but there were no takers.

Hearts took the lead in twelve minutes when we were opened up on our left wing by Velicka. The cross found Driver and from around ten yards out he produced a well controlled volley which passed Smith and found the far corner.

The home side grew in confidence and for much of the half we held on. Smith produced a fine stop and recovery to keep us in the game as we struggled to cope with the conditions. There was little of our normal passing game and ball flew from back to front.

Our best hope of a eaualiser before the break came from a pair of corners. Craigan's header from the first forced a desperate clearance and the keeper did well to keep it out. Porter got a head to the second but it passed wide.

Our intentions were clear after the resumption. McCormack earned a free kick on the edge of the 'D' and his effort fizzled over the bar in front of the Motherwell fans. That was the cue for a few spirited choruses as the team was urged to get forward.

The sleet intensified and it started to lie causing passes to come up short. There were some spectacular sliding tackles! We equalised ten minutes in. A quick corner was returned from the far post to find Porter in the middle. He bundled it over the line.

This time it was Motherwell who were riding on a high and we took the lead in sixty five minutes. McCormack collected the ball beyond the left hand post and with no angle to score he squared hard across the face of the goal. The luckless Zaliukas had to attempt an impossible clearance on the line and the ball crossed to send the away support into celebration mode.

There were a few thrills and spills at either end in the closing section of the game. The conditions dominated the play and both teams found it hard to keep possession. Both defences adopted a safety first attitude and high balls from defence were common.

The final whistle sounded and the team acknowledge their fans. News from other games came though and we find ourselves third in the table. It was a fine performance at a ground which has been a graveyard in recent seasons. A fine preparation for ou cup tie in mid January.