Motherwell's run goes on

Last updated : 20 February 2010 By Firparkcorner


If ever a game was fit for the old adage that the result matters more than the performance, this was it. The five thousand fans who braved the cold had little to cheer until Motherwell broke the deadlock ten minutes from time. The scrappy play from both sides was matched only by the horrific surface but the taking of three points from third placed Hibs, regardless off the manner of the victory, must be regarded as a terrific outcome.


Jutkiewicz had taken a mid-week knock and was protected by the manager. Murphy got the nod. Hibs, fresh from the five goal beating in Perth, turned up with five changes as Hughes tried to find a winning formula.


Motherwell kicked off facing the away support who were accommodated in the upper South Stand. It was clear early on that this game was not going to be an entertaining spectacle.  Sutton got a shot on target and Jennings' effort produced a fine save before a Hateley free kick soared high over the bar.


The first incident of not came just before the half hour. Craigan's cut-out of a pass was interpreted as a back pass and when Ruddy collected an indirect free kick was awarded ten yards out. After the usual defensive delaying manoeuvres Rankin touched the ball to Stokes who fired high.


Minutes later Hibs were reduced to ten men following Miller's scything tackle on O'Brien. Following a melee Miller was red carded and O'Brien saw yellow. We re faced with the ten man puzzle again - and on this occasion we came out on top!


The second half saw no change in the balance of the game. We had most possession but Stack was never under pressure. Hibs were never seen in attacking play and understandably they seemed intent on killing the game and stealing a point.


Humphrey replaced Coke and his pace posed a few problems for the defenders. He produced a fine cross for Sutton and the well placed header almost beat the keeper. Cregg almost produced a goal for us when his wayward header was sent goalward but a last gasp clearance saved the day.


The best move of the match produced the winner. O'Brien's cross found Sutton and despite the close attentions of Bamba he was able to lay the ball off for Murphy. The youngster's left foot hooked around the ball and sent it into the opposite side net.


Hibs, driven by Zemmama, pushed for the equaliser but we held on for the win. In summation; performance poor, result superb!