Nail Biting Stuff at Fir Park

Last updated : 03 May 2003 By Firparkcorner

Hammell in action
Over nine thousand crowded into the stadium and in the East Stand it was ‘standing room only’. A huge roar greeted the arrival of the Mighty ‘Well when Scott Leitch lead out the team. Stevie Woods followed him on to the pitch with Dubordeau given the day off. Pearson was to the midfield and Lehmann was given a place on the bench.

Hugh Dallas set the game in motion and the teams got to work. The first ten minutes saw action at both ends of the park but the big United support fell silent when Pearo scored the opener. Clarkson set up the chance by getting on the end of a long ball into the box and the ball fell for Stephen who finished from close in.

A few minutes earlier McFadden made the first of his many contributions – a goal saving defensive header against Woods’ crossbar! James made his mark later in the game in the more conventional way. He produced several dazzling runs from his midfield position but no goals followed.

The game lost some of the early frantic pace after the first goal and the break was reached with the lead still intact.

Charlie Miller made his contribution soon after the restart. He dribbled through three defenders on the edge of the box and slammed home. The home crowd responded with more encouragement and urged the team on.

Woods chipped in with at least three good saves but we conceded a second with ten minutes remaining. McIntyre was given time and space at the edge of the six yard box and, after what seemed like an age, he slammed the ball high into the net.

Desperate measures were called for and the lads made a huge effort to salvage the game. With five minutes left Vaughan chested an Adams corner into the net. Offiong and Lehmann come on but they had little time to contribute.

A draw was the least that we could accept from the game as a defeat would have seen us adrift at the bottom. Now we have three home games from four to anticipate. Bring on the Celtic on Wednesday.