Porter's double beats Accies

Last updated : 01 November 2008 By Firparkcorner

A crowd of 6205 turned up expecting a blood and thunder affair but although there were five bookings the game never had the tension which characterised these local affairs.

Porter took his goals well enough and will be the first to thank the providers - Malcolm for the first and Clarkson for the second.

Malcom gets ready to deliver the opener

Quinn returned from suspension to give our back four a more settled look. Malcolm retained his partnership with Reynolds and the pair were able to deliver a clean sheet on the day the youngster reached his century of appearances in claret and amber. Malcolm looked very settled and composed in the back line and with the added threat he gives from set pieces he seems to be a more than adequate replacement for the injured Craigan. Fitzpatrick got the nod ahead of McGarry.

The opener came in 37 minutes from a Malcolm free kick on the left. Porter glanced a header into the net to give a lead which truly reflected the balance of play. We had camped in the Accies half for most of the game and the relatively small travelling support had already survived several scares in front of the South Stand goal. The visitors came close to an equaliser in the final minute of the half but Corcoran made a mess of his good chance.

We looked to extend the lead after the break and Clarkson's long run through the centre produced the first effort in at the Cooper end. He fed Fitzpatrick and the midfielder's return allowed the striker to shoot. Cerny made the save.

Sutton delivered an inch perfect cross to Porter at the angle of the six yard box but the resultant header rebounded to safety off the far post with the keeper beaten. Clarkson came close when a delicate lob just missed the target but the second goal was not long delayed.

Unhappy visitors

Excellent work allowed Clarkson room at the edge of the penalty area and he drilled a shot across the face of goal. Porter pounced and sent it into the net from close range. The keeper was later booked for his protest that the scorer was offside.

Motherwell had now secured a two goal lead for the first time this season and seemed to be the more likely to score the third of the match. Murphy came close soon after coming from the bench but the keeper's legs saved his shot.

The first round of fixtures are now complete and we can look to the table with some satisfaction. We have the same points tally as last season at this stage and have won four of our last five games. With an Old Firm double header ahead we can go forward full of confidence.