The Fightback Starts

Last updated : 04 December 2002 By Firparkcorner

Kaiser scores!
It is difficult to single out any one in particular after such a performance but mention has to be made of Martyn Corrigan. He played as right wing back, displaced by a back three of Sengewald, Kinniburgh and Partridge, AND HE SCORED A GOAL! ‘Well fans are delighted every time we find the net but there was a great cheer when the Kaiser scored.

Pearson was immense. After a quiet first ten minutes (the highlight being a smashing save from DuBourdeau inside the first two minutes), Pearo raised the temperature of the game with two or three determined challenges, the crowd stirred and the game started for real. He played a part in at least four of the goals and looked to have regained the form he showed at the start of the season.

McFadden announced his return to top form by skinning his man on the halfway line, running up the right wing and delivering a perfect cross to Pearson in the box. After a wee fumble, Stephen recovered to smash the first of the six into the net after fifteen minutes.

Keep them out
Faddy showed both self discipline and flair by the bucket-load. He was pulled down in the box and dispatched the penalty himself. In twenty five minutes he latched onto a long ball over the top of the Hearts defence and fired a low shot across the face of the goal and into the far corner.

Three up after twenty odd minutes. The crowd realised we were on fire and rose to the team. Choruses of ‘Stand Up for the Motherwell’ started to echo from the East and Cooper Stands.

But before the break we added another. A header from Adams was converted from a Pearson free kickand we were four up at the half time.

Terry Butcher, (“everyone gave their all tonight”), had to deliver an unusual pep talk. Never in his time at Fir Park has he had to explain the tactics when we are four up!

Hearts got one back before the Kaiser scored number five. We were taking pot shots at the Hearts ‘ goal infront of the Cooper Stand when the ball broke to Corrigan just outside the box. His well struck shot stayed low and he was buried in the resultant celebration.

Terry then showed his metal. He took off Sengewald and sent on Ferguson. Lehmann moved to the back. Five up and we take off a defender and bring on a striker! In truth, Senge had policed de Vries all night and had received a booking.

Ferguson rounded the keeper in injury time to tap home number six.

Home fans rushed for the nearest pub and started celebrating. (Your humble reporter has a large glass of malt to hand!). Other results in the SPL have gone well for us and now we are two points behind Dundee United.

Aberdeen await on Saturday and tonight’s result may add a few to the travelling support. If we play with as much confidence and skill then we could be off the bottom of the table by Saturday evening.

A great night at Fir Park – many thanks lads, you earned it.