The Revival Continues in Style

Last updated : 27 December 2002 By Firparkcorner

Terry made three changes in the line up and welcomed back Pearson, Partridge and Cowan. We played four in defence with Corrigan at right back and young Cowan ahead of him at right midfield.

Stand Up For The Motherwell
Right from the kick off it was clear that we were ‘up for it’. Any time they had possession we got behind the ball and defied them to come forward. Our attacking intentions were also clear. Barely ten minutes had passed before neat work by Hammell down the right wing resulted in a far post cross which Lehmann almost converted.

A minute later and McFadden robbed a sleeping Malcolm before running in on Klos. He shot to the far corner but missed the target.

Apart form a couple of shots from distance our goal was hardly troubled and just before the break Faddy had a chance to break the deadlock. He controlled a long free kick and with a beautiful turn, sent a shot inches wide on the post.

The talk in the Cooper Stand pie stalls was that we had the upper hand and that the opposition seemed to have no threat up front. Would the pattern continue into the second half?

It did. As the drizzle fell and the light dimmed we continued to have chances. Pearson had several good runs from midfield and the Partridge-Kinniburgh partnership looked comfortable in centre defence.

Shortly after the hour mark the goal came. A floated ball into the box saw Lehmann jump very early. Amoruso seemed confused his his leap and the ball broke for Cowan to head across goal towards McFadden. Despite the close presence of Klos, Faddy managed to get a foot to the ball and it crawled into the net. The fans in the Cooper Stand were on their feet in celebration before the ball crossed the line and took great delight in the team’s celebration.

The biggest crowd of the season at Fir Park began to realise that there was a realistic prospect of a home win. The expected onslaught from Rangers duly arrived but our defence stood firm. DuBourdeau pulled off several first class saves and there’s no doubt he earned his win bonus!

As the opposition continued to press we were presented with a couple of chances on the break but the second goal did not arrive.

After the final whistle there was a special cheer for the goalkeeper as the team disappeared down the tunnel. Later Butcher commented that he had been, “absolutely magnificent”.

So, four games unbeaten with two wins and two draws allows us to move off the foot of the table. The confidence in the dressing must be high and let’s hope that we can set ourselves up for some New Year celebrations with a win at Livingston on Sunday.

Come on ye ‘Well!