Three Goals from 'Well Sink ICT

Last updated : 10 November 2007 By Firparkcorner

We kept the expected starting eleven as Hughes missed out once more through injury. Clarkson in particular was superb but everyone contributed and richly deserved the standing ovation given to them by the few hundred fans that had made the journey north.


The first half featured some awkward moments as both sides struggled to cope with a swirling wind which made playing football difficult. Eventually we managed to get used to the circumstances and began stroking the ball around but we took the lead with a set piece. McCormack's corner was flicked on by McGarry at the near post and Clarkson was left free in front of goal for a simple side foot finish.

We changed to a
4-4-2 with Clarkson operating on the right of midfield but Inverness really pushed us back at the end of the first half. Tokely found the side netting at full stretch from a free kick before Duncan stepped through our defence but hit the base of the post when a calm finish would have capped an excellent move.

After the break we were given a huge boost when Bayne was given a second yellow for a lunge at Clarkson. It was so late your correspondent, and many others, didn't even see the challenge. Having been deservedly yellowed for several fouls in the first half this was a particularly idiotic action from the big striker.

We effectively sealed the game when great play by McCormack produced a cross which Clarkson poked home at the second attempt. We were exceptionally lucky here as the move started with a throw which should have gone to
Inverness and Clarkson's first effort was blocked almost on the line by Porter who simply must have been standing in an offside position.

lost the plot at this point and a second red card seemed inevitable. Tokely was booked for a rash tackle before seeing a straight red for clattering McGarry a long time after the ball was gone. We enjoyed the space given to us by playing against nine men and we could easily have added to the tally immediately. Grabban used his pace to get beyond the goalkeeper but Porter somehow contrived to blaze high and wide when it looked easier to score. Clarkson was then played through on the right of the box but inexplicably clipped the ball across goal rather than shooting for his hat-trick.

We played out the remainder of the match with ease and Clarkson completed his superb day with a nice run and pass to assist Darren Smith. The youngster squeezed the ball through the legs of Fraser to grab his first goal of the season. There was still time for Clarkson to screw a header well wide when he might have brought the ball down but while he didn't get the match ball he will have plenty to be happy about. Only the harshest of critics could find something to complain about in this ninety minutes as we consolidated our position in the top six.