Three in a Row

Last updated : 13 December 2003 By Firparkcorner

Two strikers waiting for the ball.
The rain poured down for much of the game and the gusty wind made it difficult for either team to control their passes. As a result the ball spent a lot of time in the air as the two midfields played head tennis.

Jason Dair played the first eighty four minutes at right back and the Kaiser moved to the centre to replace the injured Partridge.

We started well enough, with most of the early possession though little in the way of chances. Hibs came close on the quarter hour when Riordan took advantage of a half chance to volley against Marshall’s right hand post. We responded immediately with one of our best moves when Clarkson won possession the charged forward twenty yards across the half way line. He passed right to Keith Lasley and the midfielder unleashed a rocket from long range. Andersson did well to tip it over for the corner.

Hammell had a pop from thirty yards ten minutes into the second half and the game seemed to open up. We continued to enjoy most of the possession but Hibs seemed to carry more goal threat.

Burns still looks to be short of match sharpness and Clarkson, while continuing to give his all, looks as though he would benefit from a rest.

Our next chance came when Clarkson passed to Burns and from a tight angle, close in, he rattled the same post as Riordan had hit in an hour earlier.

Lasley had another good game and there was some surprise when Quinn replaced him with six minutes remaining. Dair moved upfield to make space for the youngster at right back. Both teams were trying hard for the decisive goal and the played flowed from end to end.

Marshall made a couple of goal saving clutches at the feet of onrushing forwards to balance the three laps he had at high crosses.

We had a big shout for a penalty denied when a Corrigan effort seemed to be blocked by a defending hand and Leitch was shown a yellow card for his complaint.

The clock on the South Stand scoreboard clicked on to show ninety minutes as Hibs earned a corner. We were able to write the script. The ball landed at the feet of Riordan and from the left back’s zone he fired across the face of the goal into the far corner.

We always knew that the early points in the bag would prove to be a valuable insurance against the bad spell which was sure to come at some stage. With the next two games having us face Celtic and Hearts we may be very grateful for the cover bought in the heady days at the start of the season.