'Well and Saints share the spoils

Last updated : 11 February 2012 By Firparkcorner

Manager McCall stood by the team that scored half a dozen against Morton and that mean there was no starting place for Craigan.  He found a place on the bench.

Well_attack1A rare fist half Motherwell attack

St Mirren kicked off facing the drum driven ‘Well support in the Nortrh Stand and they soon saw the best and worst of our defence.  Clancy made a fine stretch to nick the ball from Thomson on the break and within seconds his careless pass led to a fierce shot that caused Randolph to concede a corner.  The Saints had a series of crosses into our box but we coped well.


Motherwell were second best and most of the attractive football came from the home team.  Thompson came close to converting a low cross and Carey should have done better with his unchallenged effort from 20 yards.   At the other end the home defence limited us to the occasional half chance.  On the half hour a Teale shot spun off Hammell and Randolph produced an acrobatic tip over the bar.  It seemed only a matter of time before we would concede.

We had a big penalty shout when Law burst into the box.  It looked as though Gooidwin clipped his ankle but referee Charleston turned away.  That was one of the few incidents to raise an expectant cheer from the ‘Well fans.  They had another shout when Imrie was booked for a late challenge on Hutchison but we reached the safety of the dressing room without loss.

The second period started with Motherwell in charge!  We camped in their last third and looked dangerous.  Ojamaa did well on the left wing and Higdon’s header that followed from the cross forced Samson into a fine instinctive save.  A couple of corners followed – at least we were competing and showing more urgency.

St Mirren responded and helped by some strange decisions by the referee the game became tousy as the challenges flew in hard and fast.  Jennings was booked for dissent, Hateley entered the book after a wild lunge on Carey and Hidgon joined them just as Humphrey came on for Murphy.

Hutchison came close with a late header following a corner and Law forced a save from Samson but in the end both teams would feel they were due a point.