'Well Back to Winning Ways

Last updated : 21 February 2004 By Firparkcorner

Paul scored his first goal today
Stevie Hammell was restored to the left back position and O’Donnell moved to the bench to allow Scott McDonald to start.

The team managed a clean sheet and with the exception of a scare at the start of each half and Kilmarnock never looked like scoring. Craigan and Corrigan looked solid in the middle and big Marshall made some telling catches when cutting out crosses.

It took thirteen minutes for the forwards to advance as far at the opposition goal line but the reward soon followed. There was some neat triangular play in the back line with Hammell, Corrigan and Adams eventually releasing a long ball to McDonald. He chased and won a corner. The ball was cleared to the same side of the pitch where McDonald was needlessly fouled.

A second half attack
Adams took the dead ball from close to the touchline and he found the rising Quinn at the far post. His header passed DuBordeaux and we were one up.

We probably had most of the possession for the rest of the game though there was little in the way of free flowing football. The pitch looks the worse for wear especially in front of the Main Stand and both teams resorted to long balls when trying to set up attacks.

Both McDonald and Lasley came close before the break and Marshall cut out a high ball just before the referee blew for the break.

We faced the Cooper Stand in the second half and frequently caused the Killie defence problems with the energy and commitment of Clarkson and McDonald supported by Burns just behind. Again we showed composure in playing short passes to escape danger but there were few clear cut chances.

As the floodlights sprang to life on the hour mark Kilmarnock made a double substitution in an attempt to turn the game but the pattern hardly changed. O’Donnell replaced McDonald and later Wright replaced Clarkson as we dug in. Both departing players were cheered off the park in a show of appreciation for their efforts.

Our discipline held good and we received no bookings while Killie had three yellow cards.

Terry Butcher said after the game that at times “it was pretty dire stuff” but he was a happy man. “Winning is everything in football” has said with a grin.

Next at fortress Fir Park are Aberdeen – and the entry prices have been reduced to £10 and £5.