'Well Pick Up the Pace Too Late

Last updated : 29 April 2006 By Firparkcorner

There was some surprise that the team selection featured only one change from the previous outing. McBride was relegated to the bench and Jim Paterson was restored to the starting eleven. Those who had hoped that the youngsters on the fringes of the first team would be given an outing were to be disappointed.

It looked as though the decision to go with the tried and tested players would pay a dividend when Paterson pinged a shot into the postage stamp from twenty yards. We were one up within the first ten minutes and looking good. Dunfermline were pinned back for long spells and Paterson almost added a second ten minutes later when his fierce shot from the edge of the box was touched to safety by McGregor. The Pars' keeper was to produce several more fine stops before the game was finished.

One of the many late chances

Then it all went pear shaped. Campbell found himself unmarked at the right edge of the six yard box with the ball at his feet and he wasted no time in firing a low shot across the face of the goals into the far side net. Then the referee made the first of three controversial penalty decisions.

Burchil fell to the floor under the most gentle of touches from Craigan and gratefully scored from the spot. The referee's view of the foul must have been hampered by the clutter of players in the box.

It was to get worse soon after the break when what looked like a harmless shot from Mason seemed to elude Smith and a couple of defenders. We were two goals behind and in disarray.

On came McDonald and McBride for Foran and Clarkson. The crowd let Terry know of their displeasure at the removal of Foran as the boos echoed around the ground.

We began to push forward and restore our command of the game. A McBride corner found the hand of a defender but the referee turned away. In sixty five minutes a quick turn and shot from McDonald forced the keeper to tip over the bar. He corner was pushed out to Craigan and he rattled the net with a fine shot.

We had our tails up and pressed hard for the equaliser. McGregor produced a few fine stops as goal bound attempts flew in. With five minutes remaining McDonald was clattered in side the box. The home crowd roared for the penalty but the referee was unsighted. It was a cruel blow as the striker had to limp off and be replaced by McGarry.

The Dunfermline keeper was yellow carded for time wasting and the ref added five additional minutes to no avail.

Perhaps we'll see a few youngsters at Livi on Wednesday?