'Well Reach the Quarter Finals

Last updated : 07 February 2004 By Firparkcorner

The sizeable Doonhamers support in the South Stand were treated to five goals at their end of the park. Unfortunately for them we managed to score the first three.

Derek Adams scores from the spot
The perfect start arrived in less than two minutes when Aitken clattered Clarkson in the box. Adams dispatched the penalty and were were one up. The travelling fans were silenced and the pattern of the first forty five minutes was settled.

We dominated and could have scored more than the Burns’ double which followed in seventeen and forty five minutes. The first was an unchallenged header from an Adams corner and the second came after an Adams shot was parried and Toastie was on hand to score from a tight angle. There was a special cheer for the number eleven as he ended his goal famine.

Am impressive visiting support
There were signs of impending trouble though. There were spells in the first half when the defence looked shaky. The understanding between Marshall and the back four was questionable but it looked like Queens were unable to take advantage of their chances.

A heavy spell of snow arrived at the interval and there was some surprise that no attempt was made to clear the lines. But the skies cleared and battle was rejoined.

We almost got the fourth when good work by Clarkson ended with a ball across the face of goal. Dair was feet away from contact. But a shock was in store.

Sean O’Connor scored twice inside a five minute spell and we were faced with almost half an hour to survive defending a one goal lead. Terry Butcher later described the defending as “poor” and conceded that he was relieved to get there in the end.

But hold on we did. Bollan replaced Lasley, much to the displeasure of the home crowd and McDonald come on for a tiring Burns.

We can now look forward to another home tie in the cup, this time
Inverness will be the visitors. We must fancy our chances of another visit to Hampden.