'Well scrape a point

Last updated : 21 March 2009 By Firparkcorner

Mark McGhee stuck by the same team which won last week's home game against Dundee United and Motherwell kicked off with the away fans at their back. There were plenty of empty seats inside Rugby Park for the $etanta lunchtime kick off and a sizeable chunk of the home support was made up of school kids enjoying a freebie.  They saw little to encourage them to return as paying customers.

Pre-match line up

Killie made the better start but there was no sting in their attack. Quinn set up our first chance when his run along the right touchline freed Sheridan for a charge into the box. The shot was on but he choose to try a pass to Sutton without success.

Killie's domination of the first period continued with Taouil causing lots of problems in midfield. There were several scrambles in our six yard box while Combe, at the other end, was pretty much a spectator. As the half drew to a close Hughes supplied Sheridan but his header was wide of the target.

First half defending

O'Brian had a blast over the top minutes into the second half as we tried to stamp some authority on proceedings but it was the home side which looked the more likely to open the scoring. Reynolds was booked for a last ditch tackle with the crowd baying for red.

Clarkson replaced McLean with half an hour remaining and he took the left midfield berth with O'Brien moving to the right. Klimpl collected his usual booking for an 'over enthusiastic' stop.

McGarry got the call when Sheridan was hooked in 72 minutes and he got the full treatment when he seemed to brush off Fernandez with his arm. The striker went down, and stayed down, while referee McDonald let play continue. It was a reflection of the quality of the game that the incident caused so much excitement!

Pascali almost broke the deadlock when his downward header from a corner forced Smith into a quick reaction save before Klimpl produced a run into the box at the other end to bring Combe into the game. Lasley then replaced him as McGhee threw on the last substitute.

Clarkson wasted a chance following a corner. The ball fell to him on the penalty spot but his volley flew high. The move summed up the game. There were few chances and those were wasted.