Another big win for FirParkCorner FC

Last updated : 13 February 2012 By Firparkcorner

The ‘Corner looked in the mood from the start and went in front in only ten minutes.  McArthur received the ball on the right wing and had time to line up a perfect cross for Tonner who placed a powerful header into the top corner from six yards.  McArthur would fall victim to his recurring hamstring problem soon after, to be replaced up front by Steele.  It was shortly to be 2 – 0, when the Clyde No 1 mis-handled a Steele shot and Craig Anderson was on hand to tap in from close range.

FPC’s dominance continued and midfielder Totten produced an excellent third goal on 22 minutes. Tonner’s shot from the edge of the box cannoned off a defender and fell to Totten 25 yards out.  He steadied himself before firing an unstoppable right foot shot into the postage stamp.  On the half hour, John Anderson pushed up from midfield and found himself free in front of goal.  His shot was parried onto the bar by the Clyde keeper and it dropped kindly for Tonner who reacted before the defender to drive home from close range.

Clyde produced their best spell of the match in the fifteen minutes up to half time and were justly rewarded with a goal after hesitant defending down the flank. The home winger was allowed to cut in from the left and he squared to his forward partner who nipped in to finish neatly off the post. More Bully Wee pressure was to come early in the second half.  A long ball forward bounced up and was adjudged to have been handled inside the box by Chalmers.  The Clyde striker despatched the penalty with style to threaten a mini fightback.

The next goal would be important and FPC were almost the architects of their own downfall again, when keeper Glenny picked up a pass back at the edge of the six yard box but  Clyde’s driven free kick ran harmlessly wide without deflection.

FPC used the close calls to regain their composure and the possession and pressure started to turn back the visitors’ way.  A ball knocked forward by Galloway saw Craig Anderson challenge 50 / 50 with the keeper who won the ball but hashed his clearance.  The ball fell to Tonner 30 yards out and with the stopper out of position, he took a touch and floated a composed ball over the head of the last defender on the line to complete his hat-trick.  The goal opened the floodgates and the ‘Corner bulked up their goal difference over the next ten minutes.  Firstly, Fraser fed Steele on the left and he beat two defenders before firing a rasping shot in at the keeper’s near post to make it 6 – 2. Fraser went close himself a couple of times, but his final shot was lacking.

MacKenzie’s corner taking has been a positive feature of FPC’s season and his deliveries all day were consistently accurate.  Tait powered a header in from one such delivery which seemed to cross the line but was parried out.  Tonner’s return header then seemed to be handled on the line by the centre back but the referee awarded a corner instead.  Tait made no mistake from MacKenzie’s identical delivery, looping a header over the defence for a deserved goal.  Steele made it eight with a cross-cum-shot from wide left which eluded everyone and nestled in the far corner, his brace being well deserved for his efforts.  Tonner, MacKenzie and Fraser all failed to convert late chances but Fir Park Corner closed the match out comfortable winners.

Clyde 2 – 8 Fir Park Corner (IFA Scottish League, 11/2/12)