A Late Error Costs a Point

Last updated : 29 December 2002 By Firparkcorner

A rare 'Well attack
The match started fairly evenly but Livingston soon began to dominate. Our midfield, despite working hard, was poor and little support was offered to the front players. As a result, the defence was never given a breather and most of the team failed to hit the heights they reached against Rangers.

For all their pressure in the first half, Livingston forced Francois DuBourdeau into a only couple of routine saves. A few efforts went close as Marvin Andrews caused chaos at set pieces but we managed to scramble everything clear. William Kinniburgh was solid again and saved a certain goal with a neck wrenching header to get in ahead of Camacho.

While we were struggling to get on the ball, we did create a couple of half chances ourselves. Adams had a clever free kick saved and an excellent effort tipped over. Pearson seemed to duck out of a header at the back post and Faddy, while struggling to find an end product, had a few mazy runs.

We were grateful to get to the break with the scores level but whatever Terry Butcher said at half time was not particularly effective. Livingston had us pushed back into our own box for the opening ten minutes and they were unlucky not to take the lead. Andrews headed a long clearance onto our bar (our defence and ‘keeper were missing at this point) but DuBourdeau recovered to make a great save from the rebound.

Can you see me Francois?
Livi then had a goal disallowed when DuBourdeau was fouled at a corner, halting David Bingham’s celebrations just as they were starting.

The rest of the match was a scrappy affair. We struggled to impose ourselves while they had difficulty in creating anything that did not come from the head of Marvin Andrews. We had our one chance in the second half when ‘replacement’ (another reason to hate the Franchise, as if it were needed) Stevie Ferguson deflected a cross towards goal. Broto saved and managed to scramble the ball out for a corner seconds before McFadden could pounce.

It looked as though the game was drifting away to a draw but then came Hammell’s mistake. He was caught trying to let the ball run out of play, Michael Hart crossed and Zarate tapped in to the empty net. We tried to rally but could not muster anything of note and Livi held on for the win.

After the Rangers game a bit of an anti-climax was always likely. This is our only defeat in five games but it means there is lots of pressure on the Thistle game on Thursday. We are six points behind the Jags, Livingston and Aberdeen and only a point ahead of United. A win is a must!