A Lukas double saves the day

Last updated : 24 October 2009 By Firparkcorner
Jim Gannon's team showed two changes from the last outing. The defence was shuffled due to Hammell's injury, Reynolds moved to left back and Craigan returned to the centre. In midfield O'Brien was preferred to Humphrey and Saints kicked off on a mild but overcast afternoon in Paisley.

We were pushed back in the early stages as the home team pressed our passing along the back line. Ruddy was often called in to retain possession and we found it hard to make telling forward movement. Our defence was kept busy repelling corners and meanwhile Gallacher spectated at the other end.

We had the odd foray upfield. Reynolds was on the overlap but failed to deliver the cross and Forbes unleashed a fine effort which the keeper tipped over. Half chances kept coming for Saints and Ross should have done better when he scooped over from ten yards.

Motherwell could make no complaint when Murray finished off a flowing move minutes before the break. The right side of the defence was missing and Craigan rushed over to counter. He made no contact and the low cross eluded three claret and amber shirts inside the box. Ruddy got a touch on the low shot into the opposite corner but we were one down at the interval.

Humphrey started the second half in place of Coke as the manager made a much needed change to try tu turn the game. We had an equaliser in minutes. Murray fouled O'Brien at the corner of the box following a corner and referee O'Reilly pointed to the spot much to the annoyance of the defenders. Forbes camly converted the spot kick.

The gaffer gets his message across

The home crowd was not quiet for long. On the hour we had cleared an attack when Mehmet flicked it back for Dorman. Ruddy seemed unsure but he had to pick the ball from the net. Saints continued to pile on the pressure and scored their third when Murray lashed in a fierce effort from the right. Twenty minutes remained.

A quick turn and shot from Jukiewicz saw the ball sneak inside the post to set up a cracking finale. Sutton came on as we threw everything up the park. Then Jutkiewicz grabbed his second moments when he lashed high into the net from close range.

Both teams were now committed to outright attack and the play raged from end to end. Saints came very close to snatching a last gasp winner but it finished 3-3. Both teams were given standing ovations following a breathtaking game.