Another Motherwell cup disaster

Last updated : 22 September 2015 By Firparkcorner

A feckless, insipid and uninspired performance from Baraclough's team was punished by the Championship outfit as yet another cup campaign ended too soon. The manager has some explaining to do.

There were three changes to the starting eleven; Lasley, Ainsworth and Moult stood aside making room for Johnson, Thomas and Leitch.


An angry man

The 4-1-4-1 formation was not producing the goods.

We kicked off under the bright floodlights wearing the mainly claret away strip and attacked the end that was populated by the sizeable travelling support (complete with drum and choir).

The opening goal came after 11 minutes and it was the first clear cut opportunity of the match. Morton took a throw from halfway and McDonald pushed it forward. Samuel got the break off McManus and thundered the ball high beyond Ripley from 16 yards. It was just the start the home side wanted and one that we dreaded.

Our immediate reply was an ambitious effort from Johnson high over the bar. His shot a minute later at least tested the 'keeper. Our first corner arrived midway through the half a training ground move almost paid off when the ball was cut back to Chalmers but his shot was just wide of the post. At the other end O'Ware came close with a header. Robinson did not look comfortable with the job of lone striker and Morton grew in confidence as half time approached. An indication of the flow was reflected in the corner statistic – Morton 5 Motherwell 1. We were fortunate to get to the break only a goal down.

There were eyebrows raised when the same eleven emerged from the tunnel but after ten minutes the manager replaced Robinson and Thomas with Moult and McDonald. But is was the McDonald in the blue and white who cane close with a 25 yard drive that clipped the post.

Morton continued to grew in command as we resorted increasingly to reliance on long balls. The home defence was happy to see them.

Ainsworth replaced Taylor with 10 minutes remaining. The pressure started to build in front of Gaston's goal as we pushed up the park with increasing panic. However it was short lived and Ripley was called upon to keep Tidser's shot out. Ainsworth had a blast just wide as the fourth official indicated three additional minutes.

With seconds left McDonald turned and rolled the ball into the net from 6 yards. It was unexpected, some will say undeserved, and robbed Morton of what would have been a well earned win in regulation time. As in the previous round a further 30 minutes was needed.

Forbes had Ripley at full stretch with a 30 yard trademark effort as the home side made the first goal threat in the first period. Moult should have scored but he hooked a close chance wide.

Samuel scored his second in 99 minutes when he converted Johnstone's low cross. There then followed a 5 minute break in play while the police and stewards exchanged views with the Motherwell fans behind the Morton goal.

The final 15 minutes started with Grimshaw testing the 'keeper and a minute later Ainsworth got a foot to a dipping cross 8 yards out but with no power.

Tidser killed it on 112 minutes and delivered the win his team had earned. There was to be no more last gasp equaliser although Moult snatched one3 back with 4 minutes left.

Both sets of fans united in the cdhant of “You're getting sacked in the morning”.

Morton 3 Motherwell 2 aet

Attendance 2,559

Team: Ripley, Law, McManus(c), Kennedy, Chalmers, Thomas (McDonald 56), Leitch, Taylor(Ainsworth 80), Grimshaw, Johnson, Robinson (Moult 56)