Bob wins the game for Motherwell

As the game moved into the last ten minutes it seemed that neither defence would be breached.  McHugh had come on in the 75th minute in place of Murphy and his goal won the game.  It was a fine striker’s goal and worthy of winning any match.  A long ball up the right wing was met by Foster.  McHugh challenged and won possession.  He earned a cheer for his determination but there was still lots to do.  He charged into the box, looked up to check his options and fired low to beat González at his near post.  Craig Brown was foiled and the three points were secured.

McHugh_celebrateIs Daley happy?

Stuart McCall sent out the same starting eleven for the third consecutive game.  Murphy showed early intent with a shot across the goal after thirty seconds.  Aberdeen replied with an effort from Vernon that had Randolph at full stretch.  The game settled into its rhythm.  Motherwell had most of the possession but faced with ten men behind the ball we found it difficult to make the telling pass to split them open. 

Humphrey, in a central position, raced on to rob Considine at the edge of the box.  He then rounded the ‘keeper and from the edge of the six yard box crashed his shot at the empty goal against the bar. 

The second half started brightly and we soon had a free kick that allowed Hateley to float a ball into the box.  Clancy was on hand and his header came off the underside of the bar then the post but it didn’t cross the line. 

Defensive_wallThe wall stood firm

Humphrey was replaced by Daley then McHugh came off the bench.  The home crowd was not pleased to see that Murphy was to be withdrawn – many took the view that Higdon had made no contribution.  The big striker’s lack of movement and control made him a prime candidate for the hook but he stayed on.

McHugh’s magic with six minutes remaining gave us valuable three points.  It was a match that looked as though it needed some individual brilliance to turn the game and it was good to see one of our young players provide it.