Higdon's double gives 'Well a win in Dundee

Last updated : 15 September 2012 By Firparkcorner

Kerr started at left back allowing Hateley to move into midfield ahead of the back four and with Higdon looking a wee bit isolated up front we looked like a 4-1-4-1 formation.  Cummins was preferred to Ramsden as partner to Hutchinson in central defence.

We had the best of the early exchanges but fell behind against the run of play in 20 minutes.  Motherwell forced a series of corners and both Lasley and Hammell had good goal attempts blocked.  At the other end Randolph showed his international class with a one handed save from Toshney made all the better as he had late sight of the shot. 


The opener followed a decent cross from Baird on our right flank.  Nish was well placed at the angle of the six yard box and his header back across the goalie gave him no chance.  We stuck to our task though and kept pushing up.  There were no spectacular passing moves but we won corner after corner though nothing came of them.

It looked like the leveller had arrived a minute before the break.  Higdon collected the ball close in with his back to goal.  The big striker managed a quick turn and his shot  beat Douglas before striking the inside of the post and, to the horror of the ‘Well support behind the goal, it came back into play to be cleared by the grateful defence.

Dundee came out in the second half with the clear intention of holding their lead and we were faced with the job of breaking down a 10 man defence.  We camped for long spells in their half but showed no sign that a breakthrough would come.  Crosses went astray and the final, telling pass failed to find an amber shirt.  Our hosts came close to doubling their lead when a rare attack ended with Nish poking the ball just wide of the post.

Ojamaa replaced Murphy in 66 minutes as McCall searched for the key that would unlock the game.  Daley followed a few minutes later replacing Cummins.  That did the trick as Ojamaa’s determination helped him forced by a defender at the corner of the box and deliver the telling pass to Higdon on the six yard line.  The big striker seemed to take an age by he managed to prod the ball beyond Douglas and we were all square with fifteen minutes remaining.

The winner came inside the last ten minutes.  Hateley whipped in a corner and Higdon’s powerful header went through Douglas’ arms and into the net.   The Motherwell fans celebrated and kept up the singing at full volume right to the end of the five additional minutes.


Join the debate on the messageboard.