Kilmarnock 0 Motherwell 0

Last updated : 21 March 2009 By Footymad Previewer
Kilmarnock prolonged their inability to win a league outing in 2009 by failing to beat a Motherwell side they dominated for much of the game.

Their lack of sharpness up front was all too apparent as Jim Jefferies' side huffed and puffed, but ultimately failed to blow the house down.

You wouldn't have thought that the home side hadn't won any of their last ten SPL games as Motherwell toiled in the first half.

Killie played most of the first period in Well's half as Mehdi Taouil's nifty footwork and the midfield guile of Manuel Pascali and Craig Bryson in midfield caused them many problems.

Cillian Sheridan's glanced header from a wide right free-kick by Steven Hammell was all Motherwell had to show for their first-half endeavours.

David Fernandez should have gone closer with a flying header after Garry Hay mugged Paul Quinn on the left of Motherwell's penalty box.

But Mark McGhee's men looked particularly weak down the left flank with Taouil, aided by Hay and Bryson exploiting the space and it was from here Killie looked likely to net.

Hay provided the throw, David Fernandez dropped the ball into the six-yard box, but Kevin Kyle lost his footing and couldn't reach it in time.

Motherwell ventured forward a little more after half-time, but Killie were still finding pockets of space in the final third, but not testing Well keeper Graeme Smith.

A promising free-kick on the edge of the area came to nothing after Fernandez was fouled by Mark Reynolds, with the Motherwell player earning the game's first yellow card.

Then Kyle wasted a free header after Hay's excellent delivery into the box, with the former Scotland hit-man somehow putting it wide.

Killie came closest again when captain Manuel Pascali headed Taouil's inswinging corner from the right on target, only for keeper Smith to be equal to it.

The visitors somehow sensed the points were there for the taking and pushed forward, but Steven McGarry's late blast over the bar from Alan Combe's poor punch did nothing to change the outcome.