Lukas breaks his duck to win the game

Last updated : 03 October 2009 By Firparkcorner

The manager rang the changes and three of the team that lost to Hibs were on the bench as Falkirk kicked off the game. Sutton, O'Brien and Saunders stood aside in favour of Murphy, Craigan and Humphrey.


The windy weather caused both teams problems all afternoon and there was an early example of the difficulties the players faced when Forbes had to have three attempts at placing the ball before he could take a corner in the first minute.

We settled well and looked content to have the ball on the ground. Passes saw the ball moving from wing to wing as we probed for forward opportunities. Jutkiewicz scored what turned out to be winner in 18 minutes when he got his head to Humphrey's near post corner. The ball flew beyond Olejnik and we had the perfect start. Coke might have doubled our lead minutes later but his shot lack power and the 'keeper had an easy save.

Final score

We were in control for the rest of the half and the Falkirk defence had to cope with another couple of corners. At the other end Ruddy had little to do.

The second period was a different matter. Falkirk were attacking the goal on front of their own fans and we were on the back foot for long spells. Lima (a half time substitute) produced a fine effort which flew close to the goal and it was apparent that we had lost control. After a painful twenty minutes Saunders replaced Humphrey. This defensive switch suggested that Gannon had elected to hold what we had. Falkirk missed their golden chance a minute later. Arfield had rattled the bar and Ruddy was on the ground when the rebound presented Stewart with what looked like an easy chance. All he had to do was head the ball into the gaping net but, to the relief of mist of the 4337 in the ground, he fired over the bar.

They had missed their chance and despite their best efforts failed to find the equaliser. O'Brien replaced Hateley and immediately caused an improvement. His pace and trickery began to push us up the park. Two minutes from time the winger was felled and there was an immediate call for assistance. He was taken off on a stretcher and we can only hope that the upcoming free weekend will give him time to recover for our next game.

It was hardly a convincing win but the three points keep the momentum going. The players can enjoy a few days rest and recuperation and start the preparations for the game at Parkhead in good heart.