Motherwell 1 Falkirk 1

Last updated : 24 January 2009 By Footymad Previewer
Falkirk extended their winless run to ten games with a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Motherwell.

The last time the Bairns won a game was back in November against Motherwell and it was they who made the brighter start with Kevin McBride and Lee Bullen going close to breaking the deadlock in the opening five minutes.

The Falkirk pressure didn't last too long as from then on the best chances fell to the home side with the visitors surviving a double scare in the tenth minute.

Keeper Robert Olejnik got caught in two minds when coming out for a long ball allowing Chris Porter to go round him but the striker's shot was blocked on the line by Bullen.

The rebound fell to the head of Marc Fitzpatrick who could only force the ball over the crossbar.

Throughout the first half all that was missing from Motherwell's play was a finish in front of goal but that problem was solved just before the break when David Clarkson sent a looping header high over the keeper.

The home side continued to push forward at the start of the second half and a fine move down the left ended with a Clarkson shot clipping the top of the crossbar and bouncing over.

It was therefore a shock when the Bairns forced an equaliser on 53 minutes. A free-kick from the left was nodded into the path of Dean Holden who was in acres of space and had time to turn and fire a shot high past Graeme Smith.

The home side were almost ahead again within a minute when another long ball eluded the Falkirk defence, but Porter could only slide his effort wide from an acute angle.

Motherwell had another double effort when a Jim O'Brien shot hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced kindly for Porter but the striker could only head wide from four yards out.

Despite much huffing and puffing from both sides in the remainder of the game they had to settle for a point apiece, although Paul Quinn' went close in stoppage time when his 20-yarder slid just the wrong side of the post.