Motherwell and Kilmarnock share the points

Last updated : 11 May 2011 By Firparkcorner

For the first time in a few weeks we saw something approaching a full strength team.  Only Murphy was missing from the squad and Jeffers started on the bench.  It was a strange game.  There was nothing at stake for either team and as a result the game rarely reached full speed.  On the other hand, both teams tried to get the ball on the deck and play passes and both goalkeepers had plenty to keep them busy.

jones_goalJones' shot finds the net

We took the lead inside the opening ten minutes when Jones cut in from the left and unleashed a twenty yard effort that beat Bell for pace.  Killie stuck to their game plan and tried to play back into contention.  They were given a great opportunity when some careless play from Hateley gave Eremenko easy possession.  He lumbered into the box to be thwarted by a good save from Randolph.


The Motherwell 'keeper gave the home crowd some cause for comment as he declined to take any dead ball kicks in the second half.  His mobility seemed fine and he kicked from hand freely but the odds must be that Hollis makes his debut on Sunday.


Sutton and Jennings had played well and they had a couple of chances after half an hour.  The first followed a nice series of Motherwell passes and it ended with a cross from the right wing.  Jennings headed home but the assistants' flag was raised to quieten the celebrations.  A minute later Humphrey crossed from the right and Sutton flicked the ball just wide of Bell's far post.


The visitors started the second half with more determination and they pulled level when Aubameyang reacted first to Dayton's cross and Randolph was beaten from close range.


The game flowed from end to end and although both 'keepers were called into action no more goals were scored.  There were a couple of 'Well attacks worth a mention.  The first followed an inch perfect fifty yard cross field pass from Craigan on the right wing to Humphrey on the left.  The winger reached the dead ball line inside the box but there was no taker for his cut back.  Jeffers followed up with some great off the ball movement that produced space in the area.   He collected the ball and attempted a low drive across the face of goal towards Sutton but a defensive foot saved the day for Killie.


After the final whistle the team took a walk around the home stands to thank the fans for the season's support. We're all hoping that the next time they go on parade thay can show off the Scottish Cup!