Motherwell beat Killie 2-1 to go third

Last updated : 31 August 2013 By Firparkcorner

It was another game which saw us endure a scary closing period when it seemed inevitable that Killie would grab an equaliser.  Brave defending was the feature of our last half hour and at the end we were reduced to ten men following Ramsden's red card.  The defender received two yellows; the first for dissent and the second for a needless challenge far from goal - no doubt he'll see a fine in his wages this week!


Vigurs was returned to the starting line up and Francis-Angol made way.  We kick off facing the South stand as usual and within seconds should have taken the lead when Hutchison's ball down the centre enabled Vigurs to run in on Sansom.  His shot was wide of the keeper's left hand post and the dream start was spurned.

The game found its rhythm immediately and play raged from end to end.  No time was given for players to settle on the ball but both sides tried to play passes until forced to punt.  Anier had a fine opportunity after 15 minutes but he delayed his shot and Barr made a fine tackle.

Some slack defending led to the loss of a free kick some 30 yards from our goal on the right and Nicholson's delivery into the box found Barr's head.  Ball then came off the head of McManus and into the net.  We were a goal behind in the 17th minute.


A wee wall

The deficit was cancelled three minutes later when Lasley set up Anier and this time the Estonian calmly dispatched the ball through Samson's legs to level the game. 

The rest of the half was fairly even and there were a couple of chances at either end.  Nicholson had a drive at Hollis from the edge of the box and Sutton unleashed a rocket from the right side to test Samson.  The stadium clock showed the half complete when Ramsden delivered a cross from the right wing.  The defence failed to clear and Sutton found time and space beyond the far post to let him give us the lead.  The perfect end to the first half.

Kilmarnock made most of the running in the second period and they came close a number of times.  Hutchison managed to lift the ball over the bar when close to his line early on then Ramsden talked himself into the referee's book following continued protests when referee Charleston denied him a penalty.  He was to play the price for his folly five minutes from time.

We had a first look at Ainsworth when he replaced Anier for the last fifteen minutes but during that spell we were more concerned with desperate defending than creative attacking so judgement will be suspended.

We are still far from our best (surely?) but nevertheless we've taken nine points from fifteen and are well placed in the early table.  The players have earned a few days rest and recovery ahead of the international break and we'll take up the struggle in Paisley in a fortnight.