Motherwell give United a lesson in finishing

Last updated : 18 January 2009 By Firparkcorner

The game started brightly enough with plenty of early incident. Hammell was booked inside the first minute for hauling Feeney down, United had a dangerous free kick at the edge of the box and Porter had a fair penalty claim after Wilkie tugged his jersey. All that took place inside the first five minutes.

Well fans flare up in excitement!

There then followed twenty minutes without anything of note before Motherwell embarked on a three goal spree. Quinn delivered a peach of a cross to Fitzpatrick at the far post to allow the midfielder a well placed header across Zaaluska for the opener. Next came a couple of strikes from Klimpl from the 'dee', the second took a slight deflection on its way to the net.

The Well fans had hardly come to terms with the two goal lead before O'Brien fed Clarkson. The striker calmly evaded one defender before striking to the keeper's left for the third.

The world seemed to have crumbled around the United players and they were glad to retreat to the dressing room for some guidance.

Motherwell left the field to enthusiastic cheers from the several hundred who were lucky enough to have travelled.

We almost nicked one soon after the restart when Clarkson escaped his minders and reached the bye line close to the goal. His pass to Porter failed to connect but our number nine was to make his mark later. Levein make a couple of changes but more slack play in the United half led to the fourth goal. Fitzpatrick capitalised on an error by Swanson and released Porter who made no mistake.

United were now a beaten side and with Motherwell full of confidence there was no way back. Clarkson and O'Brien were given a rest when Murphy and McGarry came on for the last fifteen minutes. Darren Smith came on to give the Well fans a chance to cheer Porter off as the United fans started to stream to the exits.

What better preparation could we have for the midweek jaunt to Inverurie?