Motherwell have to settle for one point

Last updated : 13 June 2017 By Firparkcorner

Motherwell dropped two points in the top six chase as a Falkirk were allowed to leave Fir Park with a 1-1 draw.  We spurred a few excellent chances and must be disappointed not to have won the game.


Manager McGhee was able to field the same eleven that showed clinical finishing in the last week's outing to Tannadice and it seemed as though we were going to keep the goal scoring run going as early as the ninth minute.Porter robbed Olejnik at the edge of the box and his goal bound lob was cleared off the line by a last ditch defender.The ball hung in the air and Fitzpatrick looked sure to head home but he rushed the attempt and the ball flew high.

a first half attack


O'Brien came close when he popped up on the left side of the box and fired a fierce effort at the near post.All the pressure came in front of the South Stand as we pinned the Bairns back.The ball at times criss-crossed their six yard box but it was not until a couple of minutes before the break that the deadlock was broken.


Hammell sent a lovely pass down the left touchline and Porter did well to collect and move into the box.He returned the ball to Hammell and the resulting cross was steered into the far side side net by Clarkson.It was a fine goal and we thoroughly deserved the lead.


The bumpy pitch caused the ball to take random bounces and neither team was able to make much progress on the deck.Porter had some success in reaching the long ball at one end while Klimpl put in a strong shift at the other.He broke up threat after threat and the game took a more physical tone.


Clarkson hit the bar with a chip shot minutes into the second half and we still seemed to control the game.Craigan had to leave the field after treatment and Falkirk made the best of their opportunity.A free kick floated into the box and was not cleared, it fell to Holden wide on the left and his rocket gave Smith no chance.1-1 against the run of play.


The tempo picked up as we pressed for the winner and the game was frequently stopped for fouls.Hammell succumbed to repeated knocks and had to be replaced by Lasley.On the hour we had a great chance.O'Brien's effort came off the bar it it seemed certain that Porter would head home from five yards.He was challenged as he headed but unbelievably the ball went wide of the post.


With ten minutes left Porter was replaced by Murphy, and with him went our chance of scoring. We persisted with the high ball tactic but without the big striker we had lost the target man.


We stretched the unbeated run to five but this was a game which should have been won.Still, a win next week will see us clear in sixth place.We live in hope.