Motherwell held to a draw by Rangers

Last updated : 10 February 2010 By Firparkcorner

Motherwell were in fine form and despite the poor surface we controlled the first hour of the game by keeping the ball on the ground and passing our way through midfield. The visitors were reduced to the long ball game but Craigan and Co. were rarely troubled.

Our one change from the last game saw the appearance of Forbes who replaced the suspended Coke. We kicked off facing the South Stand and for the first minute the ball hardly touched the ground. Motherwell took the initiative and with O'Brien and Hateley on the right wing were soon camped in the opposition half.

An exciting 90 minutes ahead

Inside the first twenty minutes we had three corners, McGregor in action and Ruddy a spectator. Rangers were awarded a soft free kick midway though the half but Davis' effort shaved the post. Within two minutes we had a chance at the other end. Hateley took the 25 yarder and curled it over the wall and into McGregor's top right corner. It was a beauty and the celebrations took place in front of an ecstatic East Stand crowd.

Rangers brought on Novo for the restart but the early action was in Motherwell's favour. Hateley floated a deep cross from a free kick to Craigan at the edge of the six yard box. His kick back across the box had beaten the keeper and Forbes tapped in at the opposite post. The East Stand assistant raised his flag and the goal was chalked off. It proved to be a costly error.

Lafferty was added to the mix and for the last half hour or so we were pinned back. Boyd missed a sitter and Ruddy had to make a few saves. Only ten minutes remained when we conceded. A Papac cross was not cleared as Reynolds hesitated and Boyd scored. It was a tough break but with legs tiring it seemed unlikely that we could regain the lead.

Our unbeaten run is now six games long. Other results on the night were favourable and we are only four points behind United in fourth spot. Next up - Accies on Saturday.