Motherwell take a point from Tannadice

Last updated : 06 November 2013 By Firparkcorner

Motherwell lined up in the Dundee sunshine sporting the black away strip for the first time this season, with one change from the eleven that won in Paisley.  Ramsden’s return was expected but the placement of McFadden on the bench was much discussed among the ‘Well fans in the upper section of the Fair play stand.


We kicked off with a bit of a gap on the right hand side as Francis-Angol settled into the left midfield position.  However, it was space that the United attack failed to exploit (in the first half!).  Indeed, by half time Hollis had to deal with no shots on target.

McManus was first to threaten the United goal with a low headed effort from a corner.  Anier had a shot deflected off Dillon that forced a quick reaction save from Cierzniak and then a 19 yard first time left footed drive that missed the target.

The Estonian had perfect service from Francis –Angol after 30 minutes and Motherwell took the lead.  ZFA collected the ball forty yards out and scurried down the left wing with an accompanying pair of defenders.  He jinked between them and spotted Anier twelve yards from goal.  The striker took one touch and struck low to the ‘keeper’s left corner.  It was a lead that our play fully merited.

We threatened again when Ramsden’s cross found Sutton at the near post for a half chance before the home side created their first opportunity as the half drew to an end.  Armstrong dragged a low shot wide from the edge of the box when he should have at least tested Hollis.

United started the second period with a few corners and a quick equaliser.  It came when Ciftci found space and time on the right and Hollis had little hope of stopping the low drive.  Worst was to follow and United took the lead when Roberstson was allowed to profit from our lack of cover on the right.  His long unchallenged run ended with a fine shot that had us behind.

McCall filled gap on the right side just after the hour when Ainsworth came on for Vigurs.  Lasley was unlucky when he saw his 25 yard free kick beat the ‘keeper only to strike the post.  Within a minute Hollis claimed the ball at the feet of Armstrong when a goal seemed likely.  The game was now an end to end affair.

McFadden came on for Anier with 15 minutes left but before he had time to reach his position on the park Ainsworth found the ball at his feet some 25 yards out at the angle of the box and he unleashed a belter into the net.  It was all square, 2-2.

McNamara threw on Goodwillie and Graham as both teams strained for the winner but none came.  There should be no complaints from either side at a share of the points.