Motherwell take three easy points

Last updated : 11 September 2010 By Firparkcorner

We started with only one change from the eleven that faced Celtic.  Blackman came in for the suspended Saunders and Hateley took the right back position.   We kicked off in our all white strip facing the empty stand at the car park end.

There was plenty of early action and we came through it with a goal.  The first minute was not complete when a St Johnstone attack on our left flank resulted in an almighty scramble in our six yard box.  Several frantic blocks were needed before Randolph got possession.  It was a real scare but after a further minute we were ahead.  Neat work from Lasley on the right allowed him to deliver a square pass to Blackman around 24 yards out and dead centre.  He was unmarked and there was a clear view of the target.  He made the best of the chance and thundered a first time effort high into the net.



The second goal

The home side  tried to force themselves back into the game but they made no clear cut chances before the break.  Blackman should have added to his tally after half an hour when he had only Smith to beat but the chance was fluffed.  Our second came five minutes before the break.  Muprhy and Sutton did well on the dead ball line and the resultant ball across the goal face was turned into the net by Rutkiewicz.   It would be a comfortable half time chat in the dressing room.

The Saints made a couple of changes, Maybury and Milne replacing Cadis and Haber but we remained in control.  The pace of the game slowed and we were content to soak up what little pressure they could muster.   Humphrey’s pace caused their defence problems all afternoon but at times his crosses were disappointing. 

Forbes came on for Jennings and McHugh let Murphy have the last five minutes in the bath. Strangely, Gow made his debut when the stadium clock showed 90 minutes but Craig Brown let it be known that he was giving the fans a chance to show their appreciation for Backman. The game petered out with Motherwell content to take three precious points back to Fir Park.  St Johnstone were a poor lot and unless tthey have a dramatic turn around they’ll be stuck at the bottom for the rest of the season.